Optimal use of resources for the benefit of patients
Activities in 2019
- Meeting with the Laotian Minister of Health H.E. Prof. Boungkong Syhavong on the project «Hospital Autonomy» on 26 September 2019
- Kick-off meeting «Committee Hospital Autonomy» on 27 September 2019
Chairman: H.E. Dr. Khampone Phoutavong, Deputy Minister of Health
- Workshop with the «Committee Hospital Autonomy» on 14 October 2019
Chairman: H.E. Dr. Bounfeng Phoummalaysith, Deputy Minister of Health
- Development of the «Concept Note on Autonomy for Pilot Hospitals Lao PDR», preparation of a roadmap
- Training and 1-day workshops with the management of the pilot hospitals for the autonomy project in October 2019 (Children Hospital, Mitthaphab Hospital, Setthathirath Hospital)
- 1-week training and workshop with 25 executives of Xieng Khouang Provincial Hospital in October 2019
Strengthening hospital management in Laos
The professional training of medical staff is a central concern of the Swiss Laos Hospital Project. However, even well-trained doctors and nurses can only fulfil their tasks optimally if they work in a well-functioning organisation.
Under the leadership of Dr. Alphons Schnyder, the Swiss Laos Hospital Project is therefore developing initiatives to strengthen management in Lao hospitals. This way, we want to make a contribution to better patient care and more efficient use of resources.
In concrete terms, our specialists advise the Laotian Ministry of Health on hospital management issues and accompany corresponding pilot projects in the hospitals. In addition, we regularly organise one-week courses for hospital managers in which we share knowledge and skills in hospital management and organisation.
Since the introduction of these courses for managers in 2017, we have already been able to train more than 400 staff from the middle and upper management levels.
A television report on the workshop of 7 November 2018 with Alphons Schnyder.
Vientiane Times, 22 March 2018
«The one-week workshop, which is being led by the Swiss Laos Hospital Project, covers patient services management, quality health services, and issues surrounding human resources and development. Attendees are studying corporatecultureframeworks, strategic planning, organisational leadership, good governance, financial management, human resource management, and changes in management with regard to project management.»
Vientiane Times, 22 March 2017
Extensive report on the 1-week intensive course in Hospital Management under the patronage of the Swiss Laos Hospital Project. Participants were executives of five major hospitals in Vientiane. The group picture on page 5 also shows the course instructor Dr. Alphons Beat Schnyder and the founder of the Swiss Hospital Project, Dr. med. Urs Lauper.